If you have recently bought a net gear router for your home wireless connection and have been figuring out on how to proceed with router configuration, we are here to help! While, the user manual will contain all the necessary information needed to access the router interface, we break down things in a simpler manner for your convenience.
Netgear router can vary in its web interface depending upon the model and software version running. Hence, before you can proceed with firmware upgrade, it is important to check “netgear genie” once you log in to its interface using your computer. If your router is successfully running with “Netgear genie” software, follow the steps mentioned here:
- Click on the advanced option and navigate to “firmware update”.
- Make sure to click check to determine you are running on the latest version of the internet.
If the router is running on “Smart wizard”, you need to click router upgrade to proceed with firmware upgrade.
Changing the Default Password
Once you are sure that your router is running on latest software, make sure to change the default password for security reasons. This will reduce the probability of an intruder hacking your system.
Make sure your password is a combination of symbols, upper case and lower case letters. Make it complex without making it very difficult to remember. Write it on your user manual so that you can look to it in case you forget in future.
- For NETGEAR genie, click “advanced” and then proceed to set password option. Write your new password and click apply
- For routers running on “Smart wizard”, you will find the set password option within the maintenance option. Follow the screen options and apply the changed settings to set new password.
LAN Configuration in Netgear Router
There are many other settings apart from configuring router password and firmware upgrade that can be done to ensure online safety. 192.168.1.254 IP login addresses which are predefined and come with your router might be easy for a hacker to break thereby intruding into your system. Hence, changing LAN address could be one of the ways to ensure strong security mechanism. However, you can just go about changing this address on your own discretion. There is a designated range allotted for private networks. You cannot proceed with something like 22.214.171.124 etc. as that would create problems with DNS server. As per general thumb rule, avoiding endings with 0 and 255 is better to designate the subnet mask.
Some routers are even configured to work with unsecure passwords. In such a case, WPS makes it convenient to make your home network secure by enabling a PIN mechanism. This PIN can make it practically difficult for the hacker to intrude in your system thereby denying access to your network.
In order to enable WPS facility in your netgear router, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Click on “wireless” in the router navigation page.
- You will find WPS settings at the wireless settings option, now look for a check box named as “enable router’s pin”.
- Check this box and click apply and your settings will get saved.